Thursday, September 11, 2014

Getting Ready For Book Club


This year I am very excited to be introducing a book club at the Freshman Campus. I've had this idea in my head since last year and decided I would implement it the 2014-2015 school year. Last year I started thinking about the books we could read and right off I thought about The Giver by Lois Lowry and The Maze Runner by James Dashner because both of those books are being released as movies this year. In my mind I thought...read the book...go see the movie as the culminating activity! Also, Hunger Games: The Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins is coming out this year too and even if students have read the book already...they'd probably want to read it again to catch themselves up with what happened. 

I've already ordered and received these three books plus one more that I'm excited to read. I have some others in mind but I think I'll let the students come up with some ideas too or give them an opportunity to vote on the books we read. As of today I have 7 students signed up on the Google form I created. All I need is 3 more. Our first meeting will be on Wednesday, September 24th where I'll pass out the book club contract and go over the rules. I got the book contract idea from....wait for it... Doris Borck's Pinterest board/website. (Ya'll know I love Pinterest!) 

The great thing about this book club is the student will get to KEEP the book at the end if they read it! I'm also hoping to come up with some other fun activities to do as a culminating activity, including Skype with an author. I think that will be really fun. There's a grant out there I'm going to apply for that I hope I can use to pay for that. 

To get the word out, I have an announcement running on our daily news, and I also put up this neat little sign this morning one of my Media Aides created for me. 



Hopefully those two things will pull in the last three students I need to get started. I also created a blog I'm going to encourage students to comment on while they read the book. Hopefully we will be reading on October 1st! 

BookJunkie

No comments:

Post a Comment